It was founded in 1890 to compete with the Yorkshire Evening News (which it absorbed in 1963) and the Leeds Evening Express. It’s published by Yorkshire Post Newspapers, which is ultimately part of nationwide regional newspaper publishers Johnston Press‘s West Yorkshire division. But unlike its daily stablemate the Yorkshire Post, it’s on the centre-left politically.
It used to appear in four editions: a First and a Main edition for Leeds, plus two local editions for Dewsbury, Batley and the Spen Valley, and for Wakefield and the Five Towns (Castleford, Featherstone, Knottingley, Normanton and Pontefract). However, the Leeds early and Dewsbury editions were lost in May 2008.
A mobile site was launched in December 2011.
During the first half of 2012 the editorial operations of the YEP and Yorkshire Post were merged. First the two newspapers’ editorships were combined under a single editor-in-chief, former YP editor Peter Charlton; then in June 2012 it was announced that both titles would share a common newsroom.
In August 2012 Johnston Press announced that the YEP and Yorkshire Post would be moving from their Wellington Road headquarters to new premises in the prestigious Number 1 Leeds building in Whitehall Road. The Wellington Road premises had been opened by the Prince of Wales in 1970 but, following the closing of the print works in the building, were too large for the papers’ operational needs. The move took place in November 2012.