It’s published by Wakefield-based company The Reporter Ltd, and forms part of Johnston Press‘s Yorkshire Weekly Newspaper Group. The editorial offices were in Cleckheaton until 2012, but then moved twice within a year: first to Batley, where the Guardian shared with the Batley & Birstall News, then in April 2013 to Dewsbury, where both titles now share with the Dewsbury Reporter.
It was founded in 1867 as The Cleckheaton Guardian, and Liversedge, Gomersal, Scholes, and District Weekly Record. In 1885 that title was abbreviated to the Cleckheaton Guardian and Spen Valley News, changing to the Cleckheaton & Spenborough Guardian in 1915. It settled on its present title in 1955, barring two years from 1995 when it incorporated the Spenborough News founded in 1994.
It formerly had a sub-edition, the Heckmondwike Herald, founded in 1879 as the Heckmondwide Herald, and Liversedge Weekly Courier but dropping the second part of its title in 1939. The Herald was incorporated into the main title in 2008 and still appears in the masthead.
It comes out on Fridays.