It was originally a daily newspaper, Sheffield’s first, when it was launched in 1855 (as the Sheffield Daily Telegraph). Its publishers’ aim was to further the Conservative cause among the working classes. By the end of the nineteenth century it had spawned a weekly and an evening version.
It’s had several name changes. From 1934 to 1938 it was known as the Sheffield Telegraph, then switched to the Sheffield Telegraph and Daily Independent for about six months. Between 1939 and 1942 it was simply the Telegraph & Independent, then added the word Sheffield for a month before reverting to the Sheffield Telegraph until 1965. It then became the Sheffield Morning Telegraph for four months, then dropped the Sheffield for twenty years as the Morning Telegraph. In 1989 it was relaunched as a weekly newspaper under its present name.
It’s published by Sheffield Newspapers Ltd, part of the Johnston Press group’s North Midlands & South Yorkshire division.
It lost its editor at the end of May 2012, in a merger of the editorial management of the Telegraph and Johnston’s evening newspaper for the city, The Star.