It’s published by independent publishers Garnett Dickinson Publishing Ltd, based in Wath-upon-Dearne; the editorial offices are in Rotherham itself.
It was founded in 1858 as The Rotherham & Masbro’ Advertiser and Weekly Chronicle for South Yorkshire. In 1885 it became just The Rotherham Advertiser and kept that title until the end of 1944, having added a District edition the previous year; from the New Year of 1945 it was The South Yorkshire and Rotherham Advertiser. Its two editions were subtitled District A and District B from 1947.
In 1903 a companion title was added, the Rawmarsh, Swinton & Mexbro’ Advertiser; Swinton was lost from the title in 1906. In 1979 it was absorbed into the parent newspaper, which became the Rotherham and South Yorkshire Advertiser.
In 1981 the Advertiser launched a whole series of sub-editions:
- Aston & Brinsworth Advertiser
- Dinnington & Kiveton Advertiser
- Maltby & Wickersley Advertiser
- Rawmarsh & Mexborough Advertiser (revived)
- Thrybergh & Dalton Advertiser
The last-named ceased publication in 1985; the rest were reabsorbed into the main Town edition in 1993, and the title simplified to Rotherham Advertiser.
It has a freesheet companion, the Rotherham Record.
It comes out on Fridays. A paid e-edition’s also available (one-off or subscription), as is an iPhone app.