It was originally founded in 1855 as the Bedale & Ripon Times. Its circulation area and title changed twice in 1862, first expanding as the Bedale, Northallerton & Ripon Times, then shrinking as the Bedale & Northallerton Times six months later. It was then absorbed into the Ripon Gazette in 1914. It was revived as a separate title, the Thirsk, Bedale & Northallerton Times, in 1950, before adopting its final title in 1977.
It was published by Harrogate-based Ackrill News, a division of the Johnston Press regional newspaper publishing house. It was part of a group of what was then six newspapers, of which the Harrogate Advertiser was and is the flagship title. It was by far the smallest of the group, with a circulation that struggled to reach 500.
The editorial offices were in Northallerton and shared with the freesheet North Yorkshire News.
It came out on Fridays.
It ceased publication in February 2009. The URL now redirects to the North Yorkshire News‘s website.