It was founded in 1864 as The Ilkley Gazette and Wharfedale Advertiser and kept that name until 1920, when it merged with The Ilkley Free Press and Addingham Courier (founded at the beginning of 1872 as The Ilkley Free Press, Addingham, Purley, Otley, Guiseley and Yeadon Courier). After three years as The Ilkley Free Press & Gazette, it became the Ilkley Gazette (incorporating the Ilkley Free Press) in 1923.
It was a broadsheet until February 2011, when it dropped the reference to the Free Press altogether, switched to tabloid format and merged with the Wharfedale & Airedale Observer to form the Ilkley, Wharfedale & Aireborough Gazette & Observer. However, within three months it had reverted to its former name.
It comes out on Thursdays.