It was founded in 1881 as the Hebden Bridge Times & Calder Vale Gazette. Shortly after its launch it was taken over by Greenhalgh Kershaw and Handley Ashworth, who ran the newspaper for more than 50 years until it was acquired by its biggest rival in the area, the Todmorden News & Advertiser. Both newspapers were in turn taken over by the Halifax Courier in 1976, at which point the paper dropped the Calder Vale Gazette from its masthead and assumed its present-day name. The Courier group was bought by nationwide regional newspaper publishing group Johnston Press in 1994.
Since 2005 the Times (like its sister titles) has been printed on the presses of the Yorkshire Post in Leeds.
The editorial offices remained in Hebden Bridge until the spring of 2012, when they were centralised at the Courier‘s offices in Halifax. The paper had switched from broadsheet to tabloid format the previous January.
It comes out on Thursdays.