It was founded in 1887. It’s published by Halifax Courier Ltd, a branch of regional newspaper publishers Johnston Press‘s West Yorkshire division, and is a sister publication to their flagship title for the area, the Halifax Courier.
The editorial offices were in Brighouse up to April 2012, when it was announced that the Echo and other sister titles of the Courier would be moving to Halifax (the Courier was switching to evening to weekly publication at the same time).
For nearly 30 years (from 1923 to 1951) it was called the Brighouse & Elland Echo. It switched from broadsheet to tabloid format in October 2010.
It comes out on Thursdays.