It was founded in 1858. It became the Barnsley Chronicle & South Yorkshire News in 1933, but reverted to the earlier title in 1982. In the meantime several local editions were launched.
It’s published by The Barnsley Chronicle Ltd, an independent publishing company. The editorial offices are in Church Street in central Barnsley and are shared with the companion weekly freesheet, the Barnsley Independent Today.
There are seven editions:
- Town (for Barnsley itself)
In 2011 it stepped in as sponsor of what was originally known as the Birdwell Brass Band and later as the Barrow Colliery Band, after previous sponsors the Barnsley Building Society merged with the Yorkshire Building Society, putting an end to their 21-year-long sponsorship deal.
It comes out on Fridays.