It was founded in 1869. It’s published by independent newspaper publishers NWN Media (formerly North Wales Newspapers Ltd), who are based in Mold in Flintshire.
Up until recently it was published by Chester-based Chronicle Newspapers, part of Trinity Mirror‘s Cheshire division. It faced closure at the end of September 2009 together with the Wrexham Chronicle and the Mid-Cheshire Chronicle, but Trinity Mirror postponed closure when it became clear that NWN were interested in buying the Herald – which they did the following month.
Following the takeover, the editorial offices were initially in Oswestry, where they were collocated with NWN’s title for the North West Shropshire area, the Border Counties Advertizer. However, the Herald now has its own offices in Whitchurch High Street.
It comes out on Wednesdays. A paid e-edition can also be subscribed to via the website.