As of August 2013, it was the town’s only paid-for weekly newspaper. It’s also the oldest newspaper in Stafford, although exactly when it was founded is a little obscure – British Library holdings of its forerunner title The Stafford Newsletter only go back as far as Issue 2442 in 1954, which points to a foundation year of about 1907. In 1955 it became the Stafford & Mid Staffs Newsletter, but then reverted to the Stafford Newsletter (without the The) in 1966.
At the beginning of 1981 the Staffordshire Newsletter title made its first appearance, with editions for Stafford and for Stone (begun in 1972 as the Stone Newsletter). Uttoxeter and Rugeley editions were added in 1985. (So too, briefly, were Cannock and midweek editions, but apparently neither made it to 1986.) From 1987 to 1993 all four editions were produced as separate titles, before once more becoming sub-editions of the overall Staffordshire Newsletter once more. The Uttoxeter edition was discontinued in 1999; the Rugeley edition was merged with the Stafford edition in 2009 before disappearing altogether in 2010.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription.