Its roots lie in the Wellington Journal, first published in 1854 and renamed the Shropshire Journal in 1965. The South Shropshire Journal was launched in 1974. Apart from a spell from 1981 to 1986 when it was the Ludlow & South Shropshire Journal, it’s kept that name ever since.
It’s published by Shropshire Newspapers Ltd, who are based in Ketley in Telford; they’re a branch of Wolverhampton-based Midland News Association, who also publish the Express & Star. The editorial offices are in Ludlow.
It forms a two-title series together with the Mid-Wales Journal. A companion weekly freesheet for Ludlow itself, the Ludlow Journal, closed in July 2010 to boost the circulations of the SSJ and Shropshire Newspapers’ county-wide evening title, the Shropshire Star.
It comes out on Fridays.