It was established in 1930 as the Warwick County News. It became the Solihull & Warwick County News in 1950 and took its present name in 1954. Apart from the first two years after its incorporation of the Birmingham News in 1959, when it was the Solihull News and Birmingham News, it’s been the Solihull News ever since.
It’s published by BPM Media, a division of nationwide newspaper publishers Trinity Mirror, from offices in Solihull High Street.
Somewhat perplexingly, for several years it was one of two weekly freesheets published by Trinity Mirror for the area – along with the Solihull Times, which had a slightly larger circulation and with which it shared a website. Since July 2009 the Times has been relegated to the status of the business section of the News.
Although it’s essentially a freesheet, a very small number of copies are sold through the news trade.
It comes out on Fridays.