It was founded in 1849. From 1889 to 1956 it bore the additional title “and Montgomeryshire Mercury” in its masthead.
Its current full masthead title is the Oswestry & Border Counties Advertizer. Locally it’s nicknamed the “Tizer”; it’s sometimes misspelt as the “Border Counties Advertiser”.
It’s published by NWN Media (formerly North Wales Newspapers Ltd), an independent family-owned publishing company based in Mold in Flintshire. The editorial offices are in Oswestry.
It underwent a facelift in July 2011 in which the news coverage was expanded, the Tizer Sport section was revamped and a large lifestyle pull-out was included.
It comes out on Wednesdays. An e-edition (by paid subscription) is also available on the website.