It was founded in 1816 as the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette and took its present title in 1956. It switched from broadsheet to tabloid format in May 2006.
It’s published by Newsquest (Wiltshire), part of the nationwide Newsquest media group, from editorial offices in Trowbridge which it shares with the Wiltshire Times; the former editorial offices in Devizes and branch offices in Chippenham and Marlborough have now closed.
There were six editions until the late 2000s, but the editions for Malmesbury, Swindon and Calne have been lost, leaving just three:
All come out on Thursdays.