It was founded in 1729 as The Salisbury Journal. Relatively little of its existence has been spent under its present title. From 1739 to 1750 it was The Salisbury Journal, or Weekly Advertiser. Later, for nearly two centuries – from 1772 to 1968 – it was The Salisbury and Winchester Journal; in its heyday it circulated widely in the West Country.
It’s published by Salisbury Newspapers, part of the Newsquest group’s Wiltshire division.
There’s a local sub-edition for Ringwood and the New Forest, the Forest Journal, as well as an associated freesheet in three editions, the Avon Advertiser.
It comes out on Thursdays.