It was founded in 1895 as the Western Evening Herald. It was taken over in 1921 by Sir Leicester Harmsworth, brother of Lord Northcliffe, and was shortly afterwards renamed the Western Evening Herald and Western Evening News. It became the Evening Herald upon changing from broadsheet to tabloid format in 1987, then simply The Herald when it switched to morning publication in 2006.
It’s published by South West Media Group Ltd, formerly part of the Northcliffe Media division of the Daily Mail and General Trust, but a branch of new media group Local World since DMGT hived off Northcliffe Media to create Local World together with Iliffe News & Media and Trinity Mirror in November 2012.
Its website was formerly Northcliffe’s thisisplymouth.co.uk, which became a portal website in 2011 to which The Herald merely contributed news. However, Local World decided to launch new “publisher-branded” websites for Northcliffe newspapers in the first half of 2013, at which point the website at the URL below was created. (thisisplymouth.co.uk now redirects there.)