It was founded in 1863 by James Welford as a two-man operation called the Newton Weekly Journal. After a change in name in 1870 to the East & South Devon Advertiser it was sold in 1876 to Daniel Vile. A further change of ownership in 1906 saw the newspaper take on its present name under the Mid-Devon Newspaper Co., who published the paper for 60 years. Four changes of ownership between 1969 and 1981 saw the Advertiser pass into the hands of Beaverbrook Western, West of England Newspapers (part of the then Mirror Group), and then a consortium of local businessmen.
The Advertiser‘s now published by Devon & Cornwall Newspapers, a division of the independent Tindle Newspapers group owned by Sir Ray Tindle. The editorial offices remain in Newton Abbot, in a Grade II listed building reputed to be haunted!
There are four editions:
- Newton Abbot (the main edition)
- Ashburton & Buckfastleigh
- Bovey Tracey & Chudleigh
It comes out on Fridays. All four editions are also available as e-editions by paid subscription.