It’s not the first newspaper to be called the Crediton Gazette; a weekly newspaper of that name was established in January 1872 but appears to have gone out of business after just 30 issues.
It was founded in 1881 as the Crediton & North Devon Chronicle, but added and West of England Advertiser to the title just a few months later. In 1891 it became the Crediton Chronicle & North Devon Gazette, substituting Taw Vale for North Devon at the beginning of 1931. In 1944 it was adopted as an edition of the Tiverton Gazette and renamed the Crediton Gazette, East Devon Herald & County Press. It assumed its present title in 1966.
It’s the smallest in circulation of three editions of Exeter-based Express & Echo News & Media Ltd’s Mid Devon Gazette series, which has its editorial offices in Tiverton. Until late 2012 part of the Daily Mail & General Trust empire, through its regional newspaper publishing wing Northcliffe Media; Northcliffe was then spun off and became the major constituent of the new Local World media group.
It comes out on Tuesdays. Along with the other two Gazette editions, it shared the Express & Echo‘s thisisexeter.co.uk website until the summer of 2013, when Local World gave the series its own website in line with its shift towards “publisher-branded” websites for former Northcliffe newspapers.