It’s had two incarnations. The first began in 1908 with the Cheddar Valley Times, which was renamed the Cheddar Valley Gazette in 1926 before ceasing publication in 1935. The second was established in 1957 as The Cheddar Valley Gazette, Isle of Wedmore and Mendip Journal before adopting its current title in 1975.
It’s published by Mid Somerset News & Media (formerly Mid Somerset Newspapers), a branch of what used to be the Daily Mail & General Trust‘s regional newspaper publishing division, Northcliffe Media. Northcliffe has been part of the new Local World media group since its creation at the tail end of 2012. (The Gazette thus has no connection with Tindle Newspapers’ monthly freesheet for the nearby Chew Valley, the Chew Valley Gazette). It’s one of a series of two titles for Mid Somerset, the other (larger) title being the Central Somerset Gazette. The editorial offices of both are in Wells.
Before 2013 it had no website of its own; its web presence was through Northcliffe’s common thisissomerset.co.uk website for the county. However, Local World decided that all former Northcliffe titles should have their own “publisher-branded” website by the summer of that year.
It comes out on Thursdays.