It’s published by East Surrey & Sussex News & Media, based in Reigate. The company was taken over by Trinity in 1994, but acquired by Northcliffe Media (the regional newspaper publishing arm of the Daily Mail & General Trust at the time) in July 2007. The series switched from broadsheet to tabloid format not long after that.
It was founded in Redhill in 1879 as The Mid-Surrey Mirror. Two years later it dropped the Mid- and became the Surrey Mirror, Reigate and Redhill Reporter, and General County Advertiser. In 1901 it dropped all but the first two words of the name and, along with several other Surrey newspapers, added the suffix & County Post. It became simply the Surrey Mirror in 1973 and, barring a brief flirtation with the original title by the Mole Valley and Epsom edition in 1980-81, it’s kept to that ever since.
The editorial offices moved from Redhill to Reigate in 1987, but returned to their original home town in 2010.
Over the years several local editions have been added and lost. There are currently four editions in the series:
- the main Surrey Mirror, covering most of the catchment area including Reigate, Redhill and Banstead;
- the Tandridge edition for the eastern end of the county;
- the Caterham Mirror, for that town;
- the Horley & Gatwick Mirror for those two towns.
All come out on Thursdays. There’s also a companion freesheet, the Mirror Midweek.
Its former website at thisissurreytoday.co.uk became a portal website for Surrey in early 2011. However, Local World launched a new “publisher-branded” website specifically for the Mirror in June 2013.