It was founded in 1881 by Charles Clarke. (The newspaper’s name predates that of the local government district – created in 1974 – by nearly a century!) It remained an independent publication owned by Charles Clarke Ltd until 1984, then three changes of ownership in as many years saw it pass through the hands of SENEWS and Ladbrokes to EMAP in 1987, and change from broadsheet to tabloid format. In 1996 it was taken over by present owners Johnston Press, who publish it through their Sussex Newspapers Ltd company, based in Horsham.
The editorial offices are in Haywards Heath.
There’s a companion freesheet, the Mid Sussex Citizen.
It comes out on Thursdays.