It was founded in 1884 as The Isle of Wight County Press and South of England Reporter and has been an independently-produced publication ever since. It dropped the South of England Reporter from the title at the end of 1973.
The editorial offices are in Newport.
It switched to tabloid format in 2008, a move which disappointed the island’s beekeepers – the size of the broadsheet pages had been ideal for the process of combining colonies, in which the newsprint sheets are placed between hives to separate colonies while allowing them to get used to each other’s scent.
It comes out on Fridays.