Its origins go back to 1895 and the foundation of The Horley Advertiser, renamed the Horley Advertiser and County Post in 1913. It was relaunched in 1986 as the Horley Mirror (incorporating Horley Advertiser and County Post). Its title was expanded to include Gatwick in 1997.
Like its parent, it’s published by East Surrey & Sussex Newspapers, based in Reigate. The company was owned by Trinity Mirror until July 2007, when it was taken over by Northcliffe Media (the regional newspaper publishing arm of the Daily Mail & General Trust). The series switched from broadsheet to tabloid format not long after that. Northcliffe became part of the Local World group at the end of 2012.
In common with Northcliffe’s other newspapers for Surrey, its web presence used to be through the thisissurreytoday.co.uk portal website. However, it now shares the Surrey Mirror‘s website launched by Local World in the summer of 2013. The old portal site has now been withdrawn.
It comes out on Thursdays.