It’s published by Sussex Newspapers (part of the Johnston Press group) from their Chichester office.
It was founded in 1887 as The Chichester Observer and West Sussex Recorder. It adopted its present title in 1936, although from 1941 to 1962 it was the Chichester and Southdown Observer.
It’s given rise to two other editions in the Observer series: the Bognor Regis Observer was the first, in 1930, and was followed by the Midhurst & Petworth Observer in 1964. All three switched from broadsheet to tabloid format in October 2012.
It comes out on Thursdays.