It was founded in 1875 as the Widnes Weekly News, and District Reporter; it adopted its current shorter title in 1963.
It’s published by Trinity Mirror Cheshire, a local branch of Trinity Mirror North West & Wales. It’s the larger (in circulation terms) of a two-title series together with the Runcorn Weekly News. Both newspapers share the same website and editorial offices, which are in Widnes.
A freesheet companion, the Weekly News Xtra, closed in the summer of 2011.
It comes out on Thursdays.