Like its “parent” title (a slight misnomer, as we’ll see below), it’s published by Wigan-based Lancashire Publications, a branch of nationwide publishers of regional newspapers Johnston Press. It shares the St Helens Reporter‘s editorial offices and website.
It was actually founded earlier than the St Helens Reporter – it was first published in about 1859 (working back from the earliest surviving copy in the British Library, which is No.505 from July 1869). In those days it was The Prescot Reporter, and St Helens General Advertiser. It became the St Helens & Prescot Reporter and Standard for two years between 1877 and 1879 before resuming its previous title. In 1885 it substituted the word Central for the word General.
From 1927 to 1950 it was the Prescot & District Reporter, then the Prescot & Huyton Reporter until 1979. A series of relatively rapid name changes followed: first to the Knowsley Reporter (1979); then the Prescot, Huyton, Knowsley Reporter (1982); the Prescot & Huyton Reporter again (1984); the Prescot Reporter (1994); and finally its current title in 2001.
A monthly freesheet for Prescot, the Prescot News, appears to have ceased publication.
It comes out on Wednesdays.