It was published by independent publishers Hirst, Kidd & Rennie Ltd, from their offices in Oldham, and was a companion to their paid-for evening tabloid, the Oldham Evening Chronicle. It shared the Oldham Evening Chronicle‘s origins in the Oldham Chronicle, founded in 1854; the weekly title was renamed simply The Chronicle in 1963 and became the Chronicle Weekend in 1983.
It came out on Fridays.
It was replaced in August 2010 by a new freesheet published on Thursdays, the Oldham Extra. (A new freesheet for the eastern half of the Borough, the Saddleworth Extra, had already been launched in March 2010.)