Its history goes back to 1898 and the foundation of the North Western Daily Mail. It continued to be published under that name until 1940; in 1941 it switched from morning to evening publication and was renamed accordingly.
It’s published by Furness Newspapers, part of the Carlisle-based CN Group (formerly Cumbrian Newspapers). The editorial offices are in Barrow, and there’s also a network office in Millom, though the office in Ulverston appears to have closed.
Until 2011 there were four editions:
- Late Final
- Millom & West Cumbria
- Ulverston & South Lakes
However, the Final and Late Final editions have now been merged into a single Barrow & Furness edition, and the Millom & West Cumbria edition is now the Millom & South Copeland edition.
There’s also a companion weekly freesheet, the Advertiser.
App versions for Android and iPhone are also available.