It was founded in 1852. Up to 1963 it was the Leigh Chronicle and Weekly District Advertiser, becoming the Leigh Reporter and South Lancashire Advertiser from January 1964. After a four-year hiatus beginning in 1975, it resumed publication in 1979 as the Leigh Reporter and Golborne Star. It settled on its existing title in 1991.
It’s published by Lancashire Publications, a branch of regional newspaper publishers Johnston Press‘s North division, as a local companion to the paid-for Wigan Evening Post. The editorial offices were in Lord Street in Leigh, but moved to Wigan in 2011.
It comes out on Thursdays.