It was founded in 1837 as The Lancaster Guardian, and General Advertiser for the Northern Counties. In 1944 it incorporated a rival newspaper, the Lancaster Observer, and Morecambe Chronicle, which had been founded in 1860. The combined newspaper continued as the Lancaster Guardian and Lancaster Observer until 1968, when it became simply the Lancaster Guardian.
It’s published by Lancaster & Morecambe Newspapers Ltd, a branch of the Johnston Press regional newspaper publishing group. The editorial offices used to be in Common Garden Street in Lancaster, but have now moved to Lancaster & Morecambe Newspapers’ main offices in Morecambe, which the Guardian shares with Morecambe’s paid-for weekly, The Visitor.
There used to be five editions until as recently as 2009:
However, the Garstang and Carnforth editions have been dropped, and the Lancaster edition has been renamed the City edition. All switched from broadsheet to tabloid format in May 2011.
The Guardian comes out on Fridays.