It was founded in 1775 as the Chester Chronicle; or Commercial Intelligencer. At some time between the end of 1776 and the beginning of 1789 it was renamed The Chester Chronicle and General Advertiser; it became simply the Chester Chronicle for the first time in July of that year. In 1814 it became the Chester Chronicle and Cheshire and North Wales General Advertiser and kept that title for the next century-and-a-half. It was renamed The Chester Chronicle in 1964, and dropped the initial The in 1993.
It’s the lead title in a Chester Chronicle group of newspapers, which covers western Cheshire, the Wirral, and Deeside generally. The group is published by Chronicle Newspapers, which is part of Trinity Mirror Cheshire, itself a branch of Trinity Mirror‘s North West & Wales division. The group editorial offices are in Chester.
There are two editions of the main title: the Chester City edition and the Chester Country edition. The other two newspapers in the group are the Frodsham & Helsby Chronicle and the Flintshire Chronicle. There’s also a companion freesheet: the Chronicle Xtra.
It’s published on Fridays.