It’s published by Northeast Press Ltd, part of the Johnston Press empire, and is based in Alnwick.
It was originally established as the Alnwick Mercury in 1854, but changed its name to the Alnwick & County Gazette in 1883 after incorporating the paper of that name which had been founded only that same year. It changed name twice more in the 1940s: to the Northumberland & Alnwick Gazette in 1943, and then to its present name in 1947.
It used to have several different sub-editions, including a Morpeth Gazette and a Ponteland Gazette, but these ceased publication when Northeast Press took over the Alnwick Advertiser and the Morpeth Herald in 1992 (the Advertiser was incorporated into the Gazette, and the Morpeth Gazette ceased publication).
It switched from broadsheet to tabloid format at the end of May 2012.