It was founded in 1869 as The Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough, Stockton and District, but switched to evening publication almost immediately (after only a year) and renamed itself The Evening Gazette for Middlesbrough, Stockton and District. It then reverted to morning publication and became the North-Eastern Daily Gazette in 1881. It dropped the Daily in 1936, and became simply the Evening Gazette in 1940.
It’s published by the Gazette Media Company, which is part of Trinity Mirror‘s operation for North East England. The editorial offices are in Middlesbrough.
It’s the biggest-selling newspaper in the Tees Valley. It appears in two main editions, a Final and a Late Final, with a special Gazette Sports edition on Saturdays printed on pink paper. An e-edition (paid) is also available.
There’s an associated series of freesheet newspapers, the Herald & Post.