It was founded in 1808 as the British Gazette, & Berwick Advertiser, a name no doubt chosen to reflect its cross-border circulation area. It became the Berwick Advertiser in 1823 and has kept that name ever since, apart from a 19-month stint from February 1983 to September 1984 when it was the Berwickshire & Berwick Advertiser, after absorbing The Berwickshire News & The East Lothian Advertiser.
It’s published by the Tweeddale Press Ltd, a company within the Johnston Press group of regional newspapers. The editorial offices are in Berwick.
A companion tabloid freesheet, the Berwick Gazette, has now ceased publication. It shared the same office and website.
The Advertiser comes out on Thursdays.