It was published by North London Newspapers, a branch within the Norwich-based Archant media group’s Archant London division. The editorial offices were previously in Tottenham Lane but moved to Archant London’s offices in Swiss Cottage in June 2009.
It was one of London’s longest-established local newspapers: it was founded in 1879 as The Seven Sisters and Finsbury Park Journal. Hornsey replaced Seven Sisters in the title two years later. In 1886 it became the Hornsey & Finsbury Park Journal and North Islington Standard; another straight swap in the title in 1908 saw it become the Hornsey & Finsbury Park Journal and Muswell Hill Standard, and then a slight re-ordering in 1919 made it the Hornsey Journal, Finsbury Park & Muswell Hill Standard.
From 1983 to 1988 it was simply The Journal. Locality names were restored to the title from 1988 onwards: first as the Hornsey & Muswell Hill Journal, then as the Hornsey, Muswell Hill & Crouch End Journal (1992) and the Hornsey & Crouch End Journal (1995) when Muswell Hill got its own edition. The two editions were re-united under the Hornsey, Crouch End & Muswell Hill Journal title in 2010.
It was the flagship title in a two-title series for the London Borough of Haringey; the other newspaper was the Tottenham, Wood Green & Edmonton Journal.
It came out on Thursdays.
In September 2012 Archant announced that the Journal would be moving to digital-only publication at the end of the month. The Broadway Ham & High edition of the Hampstead & Highgate Express was resurrected as a paid-for print newspaper for most of the circulation area; the hornseyjournal.co.uk URL now redirects to the Broadway Ham & High‘s site.
Archived e-editions are still available online through Archant London’s london24.com portal website. However, the latest available edition (which was also the last print edition) is dated 4 October 2012.