It was founded in 1833 as the Greenwich, Woolwich and Deptford Gazette, and West Kent Advertiser, but changed title to the Kentish Mercury in 1838 and kept that title until 1964. It then became the South East London Mercury for four years before compromising on the South East London and Kentish Mercury in 1968. In 1980 it briefly reverted (almost) to the SE London Mercury before splitting into three editions the following year. The Greenwich Mercury was one of them, though from 1983 to 1995 it was the Greenwich & Eltham Mercury.
It’s published by Tindle Newspapers (who took it over in 2007 from Trinity Mirror) and is a companion of their paid-for twice-weekly title the South London Press, in whose editorial offices in Streatham the Mercury is based.
Until July 2013 there were two other titles in the series: the Lewisham Mercury and the Bexley Mercury. The series was then expanded with the addition of hyperlocal titles for Greenwich Town, Blackheath and Charlton.
It comes out on Wednesdays. An e-edition is also available on the website by paid subscription.