It was founded in 1981 as The Enfield Independent. It’s not the first newspaper to bear the title; an earlier version was founded in 1907 but lasted for only 13 issues before being discontinued.
In 1988 it was renamed the Enfield, Edmonton, Palmer’s Green & Southgate Independent. After three months in late 1994 as the Enfield Town & West Enfield Independent, it took on its present title.
It’s published by Newsquest (London). The Times & Independent series editorial offices moved in 2013 from Hendon to Newsquest (London)’s offices in Watford.
It comes out on Wednesdays. A free e-edition is also available on the website.