It was founded in 1866 and listed the Jack the Ripper murders, the Sidney Street siege, the 1930s riots against the British Union of Fascists and the Blitz among the stories it had covered over the years.
It was published by East London Newspapers, part of Archant London, which in turn is a branch of the Archant media group. In common with Archant’s other East London titles, it moved from its former editorial offices in Bethnal Green to Archant London’s headquarters in Ilford in 2010.
It came out on Thursdays.
It merged with Archant London’s freesheet for the area, The Docklands, in November 2011 to form The Docklands & East London Advertiser. Archived e-editions remain available via the website, which was taken over by the new title.