It was founded in 1872. The name’s believed to be a reference to the use of church bells to alert the public to important events. Since 1877 it’s borne the quotation from Alfred, Lord Tennyson in its masthead:
Ring out the old, ring in the new
Ring out the false, ring in the true
The Crowle Advertiser went back slightly further, to 1871. It was a completely separate title until the Second World War, when it became a slip edition of the Bells. From 1974 it became simply the same newspaper with a different masthead. It was absorbed into the Bells altogether in 1986.
It’s published by Doncaster-based South Yorkshire Newspapers, a division of Johnston Press. The editorial offices were in Epworth until May 2011, when they were moved to SYN’s offices at Sunny Bar in Doncaster.
It comes out on Thursdays.