It was founded in 1859 as The Glossop-Dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter and kept that title up to 1923, when it became the Glossop Chronicle, North Derbyshire and North Cheshire Reporter. In 1937 it incorporated the Glossop Advertiser (full title: Glossop Advertiser, High Peak Herald and North Cheshire and North Derbyshire Advertiser) and became the Glossop Chronicle & Advertiser: North Derbyshire & North Cheshire Reporter. Two name-changes occurred in rapid succession in 1986; it became the Glossop & High Peak Chronicle in March, then adopted its current title in July.
It’s one of a series of two weekly tabloids published independently by Ashton Weekly Newspapers Ltd, together with its companion for eastern Greater Manchester, the Tameside Reporter. The editorial offices are in Glossop.
Both the Chronicle and the Reporter came within an ace of closure in the autumn of 2012 after the owners put it up for sale but failed to find a buyer. However, they were saved when a deal was agreed with the New Charter Housing Association in October. In the meantime, a group of Glossop residents put together their own newspaper, the Glossop Gazette, envisaged as a fortnighly title.
It comes out on Thursdays.