It was founded in 1928 as The Welwyn Times. Hatfield first made it into the title at the beginning of 1955, when the Times was renamed the Welwyn Times & Hatfield Herald. In 1973 the Hatfield Herald was replaced by the Hatfield Advertiser, and then in May 1977 by the Hatfield Times; by July 1977 it had become the Welwyn & Hatfield Times. It lost the ampersand in 2009.
It’s published by Archant Herts & Cambs, part of the Archant Anglia division of the Norwich-based Archant media group (formerly Eastern Counties Newspapers).
It has a sub-edition: the Potters Bar Times. Both the sub-edition and the main newspaper are available as (paid) e-editions online.
The editorial offices moved within Welwyn Garden City in 2012, from Howardsgate to Campus West.
It comes out on Wednesdays.