It’s one of a series of weekly freesheet tabloids published by Cambridge Newspapers Ltd, part of the Iliffe News & Media group, which in turn has been part of the Local World group since the end of 2012. The series covers the entire county of Cambridgeshire and bordering areas of the surrounding counties.
It was founded in 1889 as the Newmarket Weekly News. From 1910 to 1925 it was a sub-edition of the Cambridgeshire Weekly News and then (from 1917) the Cambridgeshire Independent Press; it also spent two years as a sub-edition of the Cambridgeshire Independent Press & Chronicle when the title was revived from 1979 to 1981. In May 2012 it was relaunched and the word Weekly was dropped from the title.
The website is also the Newmarket news section of the website for Iliffe’s paid-for daily title for the area, the Cambridge News. However, the paper has its own editorial offices in Newmarket.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s available free on the website.