It started publication in 1872 as The Newmarket Monthly Illustrated Journal, but switched to weekly publication in 1882. It adopted its present title at the same time.
It’s published by the Anglia Newspapers group, which has several other titles in Suffolk. The group is part of the nationwide publisher of regional and local newspapers, Johnston Press. The editorial staff are based in Newmarket.
Besides the Town edition for Newmarket itself, two local sub-editions for Soham and Mildenhall have been published since the mid-1980s.
It comes out on Thursdays.