It was founded in 1891 as The Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle. In 1916 it amalgamated with the considerably older Bedfordshire Advertiser and Luton Times, which had been founded as the Luton Times, and Advertiser for South Beds & North Herts in 1855; the combined title became the The Luton News and Bedfordshire Advertiser.
In 1969 the newspaper was relaunched as The New Luton News; it became simply the Luton News the following year.
It’s published from editorial offices in Luton by Premier Newspapers Ltd, who are part of the nationwide Johnston Press regional newspaper group.
It forms part of a group together with the Dunstable Gazette. The two also have an associated freesheet weekly tabloid, the Herald & Post. (Slightly oddly, the News relies on the H&P‘s Facebook page.)
It comes out on Wednesdays.