It’s ultimately owned by the Norwich-based Archant media group. However, although the paper’s very much a publication for Suffolk, it’s published by Archant Norfolk rather than Archant Suffolk, and the editorial offices are now at Archant’s headquarters in Norwich (although there’s still an office in the town, the contact details of which are given below).
It started life as an edition of the Norwich-based People’s Weekly Journal founded in 1864; the proprietors decided to launch The Lowestoft Weekly Journal and Yarmouth and County Record for the district in 1873. At the time there were four or five newspapers for the town; only the Journal remains.
It’s undergone several name changes over the years. First, the world Weekly was dropped in 1877, then in 1902 the geographical focus shifted slightly as the paper became The Lowestoft Journal and Suffolk County Record. The present title was adopted in 1920 and has been kept apart from the years 1940 to 1981, when it was the Lowestoft Journal & Mercury.
It switched format from broadsheet to tabloid in the 1980s.
There’s a local sub-edition for Southwold.
It comes out on Fridays. A paid e-edition’s also available.