It was founded in 1877 as the Harwich & Dovercourt Free Press, but relaunched as the Harwich and Dovercourt Standard in 1906. It was renamed the Harwich and Dovercourt, Manningtree and Mistley Standard in 1948 and adopted its present title in 1974.
It’s published by Essex County Newspapers Ltd, part of Newsquest (Essex), from editorial offices in Clacton-on-Sea. As of May 2014 it was the only local paper specifically for the Tendring district and the most popular title in its circulation area.
The other edition is the Manningtree Standard, which covers Manningtree, the neighbouring villages of Lawford and Mistley, and the western part of the newspaper’s footprint. Both share the same website.
It comes out on Fridays.
- Harwich & Manningtree Standard
Essex County Newspapers Ltd
28 Jackson Road
- 01255 221221
- 01255 222902