It was founded in 1872 as the Cambridgeshire Times, under the ownership of the Sharman family, who kept the title until the 1980s. It merged with the Isle of Ely Gazette in 1878 and continued as the Cambridgeshire Times & March Gazette until 1964, when it became the Cambridgeshire Times & March Advertiser.
In 1971 three local sub-editions were launched, all suffixed with …and Cambridgeshire Times: the Chatteris Advertiser, the Littleport Gazette and the Ely Standard. The Ely Standard became a free-standing title in 1985, taking the Littleport Gazette with it as a sub-edition.
Between 2001 and 2003 the Times – the Cambs Times since 1995 – split into three separate titles: the March Times, the Chatteris Times and the Whittlesey Times. (Chatteris was dropped from the circulation area in early 2011.)
It’s now published by Archant Herts & Cambs, part of the Archant media group’s Archant Anglia division. The editorial offices are in March and are shared with Archant’s title for the north-eastern Fens, the Wisbech Standard.
Although it’s mostly a freesheet, about 10 per cent of copies are sold through the news trade.
It comes out on Fridays. A free e-edition’s also available on the website.