It was founded in 1953. It incorporated the Basildon, Billericay & Wickford Standard – also founded in 1953 – in 1967 to become the Basildon Standard Recorder. It became the Standard Recorder in 1971, then simply the Recorder in 1977.
In 1981 it was relaunched as the Basildon Standard Recorder once more, and its issue numbering was restarted. But in 1986 it dropped the Basildon again, only to add it yet again in 1996. In 1997 it reverted to its original title. Wickford was added in 2002, and Billericay in 2009.
It’s published by Newsquest (Essex) from editorial offices in Basildon.
It was originally a paid-for newspaper; according to Newsquest (Essex)’s information for advertisers, it switched to free publication to reflect growing demand.
It comes out on Fridays. An e-edition’s also available free on the website.