Although the Merthyr Express dates back to 1864, Rhymney Valley didn’t get its own edition until 1918. It achieved greater prominence in the masthead from 1943, when the newspaper changed title from the over-long The Merthyr Express, Aberdare and East Glamorgan Herald, Tredegar and West Monmouth Times to become the Rhymney Valley and Merthyr Express, etc. The present title was adopted for the Rhymney Valley edition in 1971.
Like its parent title, it’s published by Cardiff-based Media Wales Ltd (part of the Trinity Mirror group) as part of its Celtic Weekly Newspapers series. The editorial offices are in Merthyr Tydfil.
As with all Media Wales’s newspapers, it shares their common website, with dedicated news pages for the Rhymney Valley. An e-edition (by paid subscription) is also available online.
It comes out on Thursdays.
- Rhymney Valley Express
52-53 Glebeland Street
- 01685 789230
- 01685 856520